Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Oxford Comma

The Oxford Comma has taken over my life over the last few semesters.  In highschool we were always told to put the final comma in a series of three or more.  Now that I am drowning in AP style and indie music in college, that comma has gone missing.

And, much to my surprise, I constantly have debates with people about whether or not to use it. Mostly with my roommate.  I for one have grown to like not putting the final comma.  It just seems like an unnecessary pause for the most part.  It doesn't bother me when people use it, I will just change it if it needs it.  People misusing irony is really what bothers me and that happens ALL THE TIME.   

From what I have seen though, everybody uses it.  Most of my writers continuously use it out of habit even after I tell them that our style guide says we don't use the last comma.  I think it has been driven so deeply into each of our brains that we don't realize we are using it.    

How do you guys feel about The Oxford Comma?

No comments:

Post a Comment