Wednesday, March 4, 2009

A little pick me up

After watching that video about the Rocky Mountain News going out of business on Monday, I have been thinking a lot about trying to get a job when I graduate here in May. Everything seems to keep reminding me that my journalism degree might not be worth that much when i go out into the real world and look for a job. Especially things like this: http://gawker.com/5163731/ten-new-jobs-for-j+school-graduates

While that IS funny..it is also kind of depressing. That is why, to cheer up all of the Journalism majors stressing about trying to get a job, I present this video: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=581_1236064812

If those ducks aren't afraid to jump off of that tree, then I am not afraid of finding a job.

4 comments:

  1. After taking a look at the first link and laughing (not the "oh, this is funny laugh," but rather the "nervous, this is the unfortunate state of our industry laugh"), I have to admit that things aren't looking too good. For the past two summers, I have had a PR-related internship, but every time I say that to a professor, I almost always get the same response:

    "Ah, you've crossed over to the dark side of journalism."

    Well, sure, but at least I was employed.

    And as for the second link - hopefully we all have a nice pile of leaves to land on when we all make our graduation "jump."

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a fellow graduating senior, I definitely understand what it is like to look for a job and for nothing to be available. Thus, I am grad school bound! I find it funny now, but back in high school all of the teachers would tell our age group that we were coming along at the perfect time in terms of being able to get jobs. I guess that is what you get for looking to far ahead sometimes. Good luck with your job searching and don't lose faith in your journalism degree just yet. Something will open up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm also headed for graduate school. I just don't think journalism is a long-term career goal for me.

    I want to use the writing and editing skills I learned in my journalism courses for writing scholarly publications after my undergraduate career ends.

    Maybe I will change my mind after grad school, but I want to remain an unresponsible student for just a little while longer. I wouldn't feel secure in the real world without a PhD.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have definitely had the same feelings as a graduating senior! All this talk of newspapers shutting down and moving to the internet isn't necessarily helping - but it's the reality of the industry at this moment and we have to find creative ways to get our name out there. While I have applied for full-time positions, I think internships are the way to go right now. I know many of them are unpaid, but I think the experience is well worth it. From my own experience, when one door closes, another opens, so be optimistic and apply for jobs you never would think of - just to get your foot in the door! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete