Wednesday, March 18, 2009

When Words Collide

When Words Collide: A Media Writer's Guide to Grammar and Style has got to be one of the most useful books I have bought in college. In studying for the midterm we had today, I realized that my life would have been a lot easier these last four years with it. I really wish I would have bought it right when I became a journalism major.

Part Two, which is the Topical Guide to Grammar and Word use is so incredibly handy. Not only does it give you definitions of all the parts of speech, but there is a comprehensive list of words that are commonly misused. I will never misuse one of these words again as long as I have this book.

The among/between entry is probably the one that surprised me the most. I always just used those words interchangeably. Now, I know I was wrong. Extremely wrong. "Among relates to more than two persons or things, and between applies to only two."

I also was using convince and persuade wrong, which I am glad was in the book, because it was on the test today.

No comments:

Post a Comment