Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Ebertfest Begins

Ebertfest 11 kicks off tonight and I am both extremely excited for it, and can't wait for it to be over. It has been a lot of work organizing coverage for Buzz, but I think it is all going to turn out really well. If you are interested, keep checking the217.com throughout the weekend for constant updates.

Covering a festival like this will be great experience as an editor. It will also be the last big thing I do as Movies and TV Editor, so I want to do it right. I will have to employ all the skills I have learned at work and in class to make this run smoothly.

Here is a schedule of what Ebertfest looks like this year. Not really any standouts like in particular years, but I am EXTREMELY excited about Let the RIght One In.


WEDNESDAY, APRIL 22

7:00 pm
Michael Wadleigh, Director
Dale Bell, Producer
THURSDAY, APRIL 23

1:30 pm
My Winnipeg (80 min)
Guy Maddin, Director
4:00 pm
Chop Shop (84 min)
Ramin Bahrani, Director
8:30 pm Trouble The Water (NR; 96 min) Tia Lessin, Director, Producer
Carl Deal, Director, Producer
Kimberly & Scott Roberts
FRIDAY, APRIL 24

1:30 pm
Begging Naked (80 min)
Karen Gehres, Director
4:00 pm
8:30 pm
Frozen River (R; 97 min)
Courtney Hunt, Director
Misty Upham, Actor
SATURDAY, APRIL 25

11:00 am
The Fall (R; 117 min)
2:30 pm
Nina Paley, Director, Animator, etc.
6:30 pm
Rod Lurie, Director
Matt Dillon, Actor
9:30 pm
Let The Right One In (R; 114 min)
Carl Molinder, Producer


SUNDAY, APRIL 26
Noon
Baraka (NR; 96 min)
Mark Magidson, Producer
Ron Fricke, Director
Anybody planning on seeing ay movies?

3 comments:

  1. I went to see "Begging Naked" on Friday afternoon. I went to Ebertfest last year also, and each year I have been pleasantly surprised with the movies I saw. I don't consider myself a huge movie buff, so each time I went in knowing very little about the movies I was seeing. Last year, I went in to "Underworld" thinking it was the vampire movie with Kate Beckinsale. To my suprise, it was a silent film from the 1930s. It turned out to be a great experience, with a a live orchestra to perform the musical score for the movie. "Begging Naked" was a documentary about a woman who was a stripper and an artist who was evicted and to this day lives homeless in Central Park. The best part of this experience was seeing the artwork done by the subject of the documentary that was on sale following the screening of the film.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two great movies played at Ebertfest . . .

    1) Woodstock - Martin Scorsese was a cameraman for the crew, and helped edit the film. Quintessential documentary, amazing from start to finish.

    2) Let the Right One In - who knew Swedes could make great scary movies? What a vampire flick. Eerie throughout, beautiful cinematography, just a gorgeous film that leaves you unsettled.

    Kinda wish I would have attended this year especially.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish I saw "Let the Right One In." I've already seen it, but only on a 15" laptop screen. Ten dollars is too much for me to rewatch it on hte big screen especially when there are other movies that I haven't seen yet. So I didn't go. :(

    ReplyDelete