Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Moral Issues with Editing

My research for our paper due Monday has had me reading a lot about moral issues that come up with editing.  Not making up stories, sources and plagiarizing are all the main  issues - most of this seems obvious, but people still seem to want to bend the rules.

My research is actually crossing over to my work life, as I am having a problem with some moral issues with a few of my writers.  I won't describe the problem in detail because I am still investigating it, but it has been causing me a lot of unnecessary stress.  

One of the biggest things I have learned about being an editor is that you can not be afraid to be confrontational.  One of my biggest flaws is I am not a very confrontational person, about anything.  I hate to offend and I hate doing uncomfortable things like confronting my writers about things.  I quickly had to realize that it is not possible for me to make everybody happy, and in the end, not everybody is going to like me, and I am just going to have to deal with that. 


The word guerrilla (or guerilla) really confused me today.  I wrote it in my cut line for the photo of Jacob Zuma and just trusted Word in its spelling.  I put "guerilla," and got back the I misspelled it.  Words should have one spelling.  In a language like English that is already confusing enough with homonyms, multiple spellings of words should not happen.  English would be a super confusing language to learn if my first language happened to be Spanish or something.    

No comments:

Post a Comment