Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Wikipedia

Lecture on Monday brought up the debate on whether or not Wikipedia is a reliable source for information.  Now, I love Wikipedia.  I spend way too much time looking up any random little thing I can think of.  The amount I have learned from Wikipedia is incredible, plus, I am not super awesome at Jeopardy.  

As for Wikipedia's credibility, I used to agree that it wasn't extremely reliable, but then I found this story: http://news.cnet.com/Study-Wikipedia-as-accurate-as-Britannica/2100-1038_3-5997332.html

A study found that Wikipedia is just as accurate as Encyclopedia Britannica , and this makes me excited.  

While you can still find ridiculous things on Wikipedia, the fact that the information is almost as factual as the encyclopedia is a step in the right direction in making wikipedia a valiable source.

Hmm..maybe I just love the internet too much.


4 comments:

  1. I wrote a post about wikipedia too. After writing the post I found yours so I created a link. In my opinion, Wikipedia is getting better and it is so handy to use. I love to use it to look up a quick fact. In fact the other day, I searched for Dolly Parton to figure out her age. My grandmother and I were disagreeing on the age and Wikipedia solved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best part about Wikipedia is that the more in depth topics usually have links to credible sources. Wikipedia does my research for me, nice! Sometimes I do see papers or stories or whatever linking to Wikipedia and it's like, seriously? You couldn't do better than that? I see Wikipedia as my every day source for info, like if I want to see when Jennifer Anniston was born or something. But I'm not going to quote it in my research paper or anything

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I too have always found myself hesitating to use Wikipedia, because of what my high school and college teachers have preached to me throughout my school career. However, as I have used it more recently, I have found it gives factual information. My assumption is that people go to Wikipedia at their own risk. Personally, I am comfortable going to this web site. I just have to know I cannot believe everything I read...but then again, that's with everything in life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wikipedia is addictive. So much stuff to browse through, and often I feel like I start at point A and end up at point Z in an hour without even noticing it.

    Along with it being very accurate, my favorite part of it is the wealth of information it has that, likely, Encyclopedia Britannica does not. The sheer amount of info couldn't fit into a printed encyclopedia.

    ReplyDelete